Friday, April 13, 2012

The technical interview

I've had a fair amount of technical interviews in several companies, with different missions and different points of views in technology. I also have had a fair amount of HR interviews in some companies and non-profit organizations, and for some reason I feel like I want to share this experience with you.. 
yes, you!
So, I'll probably share some of those in the following posts, but I'll try to cut them short to keep you interested and yet enlightened.

At first... I suggest reading Cracking the Coding Interview, Fourth Edition I've read it many times (often before any technical interview :| ) and it is very insightful.

Self confidence is as important as technical knowledge. If you are not confident in yourself or your abilities to handle an interview, then you'll probably not be able to perform as good as you need to nail that interview.

Interviews are done by people... so having people skills can walk you through an interview, but you need to remember that not all people react to the same actions the same way. Wisdom is important so that you say the right things at the right time.

I remember once I was at an interview at a very prestigious organization and I nailed it.. I really did. The interviewer liked me so much, I answered most of the questions right, and the ones I didn't answer, I demonstrated an organized and structured way of thinking through it, but at the end ..... when I was just about to leave, I mean if I had left at that moment I'd have had a chance, but I tried to ask my interviewer a question (i asked this question, or questions similar to it in almost every interview I went to) and that was it.....he seemed very insulted just by the fact that I want to ask him a question and he gave me a lecture (more like a 3 minutes session ) about what to ask and what not to ask.. my rights a his rights.

As I was walking through the door I just kept saying to myself "why oh why didn't I just leave when i had the chance to??". That was one looong day.

Anyway, I'll try to write in some details the interesting interviews I've been to.

Stay tuned.


4 comments:

  1. Your English is improving masha'a Allah!

    I noticed that you did not mention the question you keep on asking all interviewing companies ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll probably mention that question at the end of this set of posts :)

    But knowing that my English is improving implies that you know me right??

    Anyway, its due to watching lots and lots of movies on TV

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does not necessarily imply that (it's not an "iff situation"), I barely know you; I simply am following your blog since the very first post ... Maybe your accent isn't that good (I never heard you talk anyway), but your writing is on its way to superb !

    ReplyDelete